Heritage Bus Tour
The MYM Western Cape is part of the Cape Town Interfaith Initiative (CTII) and we organise a heritage bus tour every year on heritage day. This tour explore various religions places of worship to promote a spirit of reconciliation, social cohesion and respect for our diversity.
Every year we visit various communities and this year we will be visiting:
- The Lutheran Church - oldest church building in South Africa (1774)
- The Green and Sea Point Hebrew Congregation (1934)- as it is the Festival of Tabernacles, we shall be visiting their Sukkah (tabernacle)
- The Iziko Bo Kaap Museum – (1763 - 1768)
- The Boorhaanol Mosque – (1884)
- The Tana Baru burial ground on Signal Hill - used since 1772 for the slaves and political exiles forcibly brought to the Cape who established Islam in the Cape
The MYM was responsible for the lunch and organising the Islamic part of the bus tour. These kind of interfaith activities is a very powerful way to breakdown stereotypes and for people to develop an understanding and respect for other religions.